Sunday, October 23, 2011

Scripture and a Snapshot: October 23rd



Life isn't easy. Every day countless suffer and die. This past week my dear friend Donna passed away. I thank the LORD that she made a commitment to follow Christ and she's with him in glory at this very moment, but my heart is sad that she's no longer here on this earth.

In my own life, I've been suffering with a relentless cold, cough, and voice loss. This could make me angry and upset because it seems unfair, but I'm trusting that God is using it to produce perseverance in my life, which will lead to character and hope. Our circumstances should not determine our view of God - rather, God's should determine how we think and act, as Romans 12:2 says:

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.



This also correlates to the life of Job, who my Old Testament Literature class just studied on Friday. He had all of his possessions taken away from him and terrible sores broke out on the surface of his body. Yet, despite his great suffering, Job praised God and did not sin. What a great example for us to follow!

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. -Romans 5:1-5


5 comments:

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Amen Jessica - my HOPE is in the Lord.

Bethany said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend, Jessica. And I hope you get over your cold quickly!

Jennifer said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Unknown said...

I decided to visit one of your other blogs tonight and I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hope you are feeling better soon as well. The photos you shared are lovely!

Ruth said...

Heavy but beautiful reflection. It's good to be reminded that we are just pilgrims the sufferings are present in our eternal destination. Thank you for sharing those verses. Great photos to match your thoughts.
I'm sorry for your loss...